Want to know when to run away from a prospective client? Here are 25 reasons:
1. We give them a good proposal with a fairly priced budget and they want to decrease the budget without decreasing the scope of work.
2. They balk at any of the terms spelled out in “The Business Side of Our Relationship”
3. They will not agree to advance payment.
4. They want to see actual finished product before paying anything.
5. They only want to pay for results, not our time in trying to achieve those results.
6. They ask for special payment terms extending beyond our usual policy in this regard.
7. They want to “test us” before committing to a business relationship and that test involves what we do for a living and normally charge for.
8. They want us to produce spec work before deciding to hire us.
9. They want us to take shares in their company in lieu of cash for our fees.
10. They refuse or procrastinate about signing a letter of agreement.
11. They try to pit us against competing agencies in order to obtain special concessions.
12. They are under-capitalized.
13. They have no business plan and /or cannot articulate their business goals or company vision.
14. They are unclear relative to their expectations of us.
15. They have trouble making decisions.
16. They are overly bureaucratic and/or involve committees in every decision.
17. They cannot or will not meet deadlines or respond to us in a timely manner.
18. They do not return our phone calls within a reasonable time.
19. They are rude or exhibit abusive behavior with others in their office in addition to us.
20. They think they know it all and will not listen.
21. They have no or inadequate commitment to public relations as an important part of their business.
22. Their reputation is questionable or negative with customers,vendors, and/or other service providers.
23. They have had several different PR firms in relatively short period of time.
24. Their associates do not seem to like or respect them.
25. The atmosphere in their office is overly strained or negative.
RUN, DO NOT WALK…… away from any of these prospects. NO ONE NEEDS BUSINESS THAT BADLY!