by Cassie Boorn
Whether you work in fashion PR and are directing multiple shows or hosting an influencer event, New York Fashion Week is a busy time for PR professionals everywhere. For those PR girls who are not in New York this week, this is a time full of opportunities for both our clients and our careers.
Even if you aren’t going to be part of the madness, here are five ways you can follow along and take advantage of some of the opportunities New York Fashion Week opens for PR professionals everywhere.
- Spot the next big trend: Thanks to the digital space, a host of shows will be live streamed making you feel like part of the action without actually being there. Mashable has outlined some of the shows that will be live streamed and how you can access them. Tune in, take notes and see what the next big things might be and how your client can be part of it.
- Discover new opportunities: Every year fashion week highlights new opportunities for brands through coverage of events, influencer partnerships and celebrity news. Follow along on Twitter or Tumblr to see what conversations are happening, what events everyone is talking about and where your brand should be during Fashion Week 2013.
- Build blogger relationships: Fashion Week is totally hustle and bustle for top fashion bloggers making it nearly impossible to connect with them during the event. By not attending fashion week you get a chance to watch from afar and see which influencers are driving the most buzz, who is leading the conversation on Twitter and which bloggers are talking about things that are relevant to your brand. Follow the fashion week hashtag on Twitter, see what influencers are saying and “favorite” tweets that catch your eye so you can review and follow up when everything settles down.
- See what other brands are doing: You don’t have to be a fashion brand to be part of fashion week. Hundreds of lifestyle brands have found out of the box ways to tie their brand to the fashion community and drive engagement. Watch Twitter and your favorite social media blogs to see what brands are doing at Fashion Week and what activations are getting the most buzz. What can you learn from their campaign? How can you leverage those learning’s for your clients? And most importantly what can you do at fashion week next year to be the most talked about thing?
- Create content: It is nearly impossible to create quality content while in the midst of fashion week. Bloggers and editors are hustling around taking photos and brainstorming their follow up stories which means you have the opportunity to report on fashion week while it is happening. Leverage Pinterest, Facebook and other social networks to highlight what is happening during fashion week and become part of the conversation from the comfort of your own home.
How will you be enjoying fashion week this year?
Cassie Boorn is a writer, social media specialist, entreprenuer and PR girl who has built digital programs for Fortune 500 companies, entrepreneurs, small businesses and bloggers. You can find her shelling